Fourteen brilliant stories of the vast and restless passions surging within the depths of the human soul…
Here, collected for the first time in a single volume, are fourteen masterpieces by outstanding writers – writers who strip away the cloak of secrecy from the dark dreams that drive men and women into hidden worlds of outrage and chaos, desire and damnation.
A paperback original first edition.
Title: The Damned
Author: Daniel Talbot (ed)
Imprint & Number: Lion Library LL6
Cover price: 35¢
Publication date: 1954
Cover artist: uncredited
- Mateo Falcone by Prosper Merimee (The World’s 100 Best Short Stories: Vol. 9, Ghosts, 1927)
- Previous Condition by James Baldwin
- Soldier’s Home by Ernest Hemingway
- A Painful Case by James Joyce
- Chums by Maxim Gorki
- Why Don’t You Look Where You’re Going by Walter Van Tilburg Clark
- Time Without End by Jim Thompson
- The Wish by Roald Dahl (Someone Like You, 1953)
- The Runaway by Stefan Zweig
- That Only A Mother by Judith Merril (Astounding Science Fiction, 6/48)
- Where The Kings Die In Madrid by Alex Austin
- Last Visit by Christopher Lazare
- Hands by Sherwood Anderson
- Ball Of Fat by Guy de Maupassant
Talk about an odd combination of writers… this has got something for everyone. Who would’ve considered putting the writer responsible for the story on which the opera Carmen is based (Merimee) in the same volume as Willy Wonka’s daddy (Dahl)?