Final issue of The New Black Mask, a quarterly magazine (although it resembles an over-sized paperback more than a mag) containing many top notch contributors, edited by Matthew J Bruccoli & Richard Layman, published by Harcourt Brace Jovanovich. Cover art by Irving Freeman & Steve Macanga.
Mark Coggins, author and contributor to issue 4, covers each issue extensively here. He does not mention, however, that this issue contains one of the last interviews with John D MacDonald, conducted sometime prior to July, 1986.
- John D MacDonald – Night Ride
- James Ellroy – Dial Axminster 6-400
- John Lutz – Flotsam and Jetsam
- Sara Paretsky – Skin Deep featuring VI Warshawski
- Bill Pronzini – Stacked Deck
- Carolyn Banks – Shhh, Shhh, It’s Christmas
- William Doxey – Family Business
- Joseph Lisowski – Looking For Lauren
- Robert Sampson – To Florida
- Martin J Miller Jr – Telex
- Ed Hoch – Spy For Sale
- Sol Newman – ‘Ead All About It!
- Peter Lovesey – Murder In Store
All but the Lovesey story have a 1987 copyright, with Lovesey’s copyrighted 1985.