This is the pile-driving story of the crushing of the Mau Mau revolt in Africa. It is big and explosive. It is a vivid portrait of primitive savagery, of barbaric rituals and torture, of manhunts, of fear and hatred and loyalty, of love in an inferno.
Something Of Value, a novel based on actual and recent events, is the basis for the M-G-M motion picture starring Rock Hudson and Dana Wynter.
After spending time in Africa on safari, Ruark’s experiences gave him enough insight to write this and another novel, Uhuru, both set during the Mau Mau rebellion. Now, almost 70 years later, the Mau Mau rebellion is once again in the news.
Title: Something Of Value
Author: Robert Ruark
Imprint & Number: Cardinal GC-753
Cover price: 75¢
Publication date: 1957
Cover artist: Charles Binger
- Fury as Britain fights ruling on Kenya torture victims (guardian.co.uk)
- Warfare In January (meshtime.com)
- Lawyers accuse UK of ploy to delay Mau Mau case (nation.co.ke)
- British tried to conceal Mau Mau camp atrocity death (independent.co.uk)
- Secret British files show Kenya massacre cover-up (capitalfm.co.ke)
- A Time There Was: The Mau Mau Rebellion Thursday 6th December 2012 (funmiwritesculture.wordpress.com)
- We wish Kenyans well during their 49th year of freedom – Independence celebration today (africanpress.me)